Burns Chemical Boy Sneakers

Skecher’s “Taking Complaint Seriously” and “Investigating Matter”

Nine year old Peyton Foster planned to enjoy a great last day of school. Wrapping up third grade, he was all set for a celebratory “water day” with his teachers and classmates. Instead, he wound up with chemical burns on his feet that his mother believes were caused by his Skechers light-up sneakers.

Chemical Burns from Sneakers

Peyton’s Mom Sherry Foster shared the pictures of his feet on Facebook thanking their doctor for seeing him.

“Peyton has 2nd degree chemical burns from his sketcher lightable shoes,” she wrote. “Apparently when they get wet the batteries release a chemical causing children’s feet to burn. THANK You Dr Jordon for taking the time to see and treat him in your booked solid day! greatly appreciated!” 

Here are the shoes Peyton wore that day.

Sneakers Cause Burns

CafeMom spoke to Sherry soon after the post went up. She told them Peyton’s shoes got wet during the water festivities. Although he was wearing socks, he started complaining about his feet when he got home that night. “I looked; they were red but I thought they were just cold. The next day, he came in from being out doors saying his feet were really burning, I looked again and they were twice as red, blistered, and very painful.”

It took a conversation with the pediatrician to make Sherry think to examine her son’s shoes. That’s when they noticed the lights didn’t work anymore. Sherry learned that Peyton’s sneakers have a battery in them and when they got wet, they started releasing a chemical that burned his feet as he walked. “We have always bought Skechers and have never had a problem,” she says. “His specific shoe, the Skech Rayz, had an on and off switch. If parents buy these, I recommend they do not get them wet or jump in puddles. I know kids love them because of the cool lights but be careful.”

Skechers has been in touch with the family and, although they’ve never received a complaint like this before, they say they are taking the matter very seriously.

A word of warning for other parents!